Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) is a public service enterprise and a regulatory body in the field of Air Navigation aiming at safe, regular and efficient operation of national and International Air Navigation in and over the entire territory of Bangladesh.
As a regulatory body it implements the rules, regulations and directives of the Government of the People's Republic Of Bangladesh and the Standards And Recommended Practices (SARPS) of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), an agency organization of the United Nations (UN) for formulation and co-ordination of aviation procedures and activities worldwide.
To achieve the objectives of CAAB makes provisions of
1. Services and Facilities like:
A. Air Traffic Services /Air Traffic Management.
I. CAAB provides air traffic control service to each aircraft flying in the national airspace and moving on maneuvering areas of Bangladesh active aerodromes in order to prevent collision and to maintain expedite and orderly flow of air traffic.
II. CAAB establishes air routes and flying, approaching and landing procedures for each route and active aerodrome belonging to the country.
III. CAAB makes all necessary arrangements for search and rescue operation in case of accident or missing of any aircraft and conducts investigation against accidents and unwanted incidents related to aircrafts.
B. Communication, Radio Navigational Aids and Surveillance Services.
CAAB makes provisions for facilities and services for Aeronautical Telecommunications, Radio Navigation and Surveillance Service in order to ensure safety, regularity and efficiency of aircraft operation. Some of them are:
1. Data Communication with all Civil Aviation authorities including International Airports of the world through integrated and dedicated network;
2. Voice communication with aircrafts in flight through HF and VHF Radio;
3. Voice communication with Kolkata, Yangoon and Domestic Airports;
4. Non Directional Radio Beacon (NDB) at Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet, Jessore, Cox's Bazar, Rajshahi, Syedpur, Barisal, Comilla and Ishurdi;
5. Very High Frequency Omni Directional Radio Range (VOR) at Sylhet, Comilla, Rajshahi, Jessore and Syedpur;
6. Very High Frequency Omni Directional Radio Range (VOR) and Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) at Dhaka and Chittagong.
7. Instrument Landing System (ILS) at Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet;
8. Primary and Secondary Radar at Dhaka.
C. Airport and Anti-Hijack Security:
CAAB makes all necessary arrangements in order to ensure the security of passengers & aerodromes and to detect, prevent penetration of terrorist activists on board from or within national territory.
D. Facilitation of Passengers:
CAAB makes all necessary arrangements to establish and maintain all passenger services and facilities at the terminal of Bangladesh airports. Arrangements for facilities, such as flight information, public address, entertainments, comfortable room and environment for passengers and their attendants are all accomplished by CAAB.
E. Construction and Maintenance of Airports:
1. CAAB constructs, maintains and develops airports, aerodromes whenever and whatever are required in order to expand the aviation infrastructure and air transportation network in the country.
2. CAAB also provides operational accommodation to other organizations and agencies like Airlines, Customs, Immigration, Meteorology, Health, Police etc. at the airports.
F. Development Planning:
CAAB studies, evaluates and plan for development of the aviation infrastructure within the country considering necessity and budget. It also maintains liaison with regional partners and ICAO in relation to future development programs masterminded by ICAO.
G. Human Resource Development:
To develop the skills of the officers and employees, CAAB takes all necessary steps for training of its operational officers and employees both in country and abroad. CAAB has already established the Civil Aviation Training Centre (CATC) at Dhaka.
2. Flight safety and regulations like:
a) Registration of Aircraft;
b) Certification of Airworthiness;
c) Personnel Licensing;
d) Bi lateral Agreements;
e) Air Transport service Authorization.
For more information please visit CAAB website: www.caab.gov.bd